Saturday, November 15, 2008

Master Recipe for Mashed Potatoes

With the holidays around the corner, let's get some of the basics covered. You know, the standard, all-American foods that people typically associated with Thanksgiving. Although mashed potatoes are definitely a staple in our house all year 'round.




2 pounds potatoes, peeled (Yukon Gold, Red, or Russet)
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
3/4 cup half-and-half, warmed
1-1/2 teaspoons table salt
Ground black pepper

  1. Place potatoes in large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to boil over high heat; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until potatoes are tender, 20 to 30 minutes. Drain.
  2. Mash potatoes with butter until Incorporated. Gently whisk in half-and-half, salt, and pepper to taste.
  3. Serve immediately.

Serves 4

Having a helper with the mashed potatoes is always helpful.

My daughter asked if she could help, so I gave her the pot of cooked potatoes and the masher. During the coarse of all the last-minute cooking, I became preoccupied and forgot about my daughter and the mashed potatoes. This is what I saw when I walked back into the kitchen!

No comments: